Thursday, March 10, 2016

Give Science a Hand

What readers demanded.


A journal called PLOS ONE (Public Library of Science…One) recently published a paper called “Biomechanical Characteristics of Hand Coordination in Grasping Activities of Daily Living” in which reference was made to intelligent design and a possible Creator. The hand, it seems, proved worthy of being called the product of something greater than biology. Readers of PLOS ONE demanded a retraction. They got it: 


Retraction­­­­­­­­­­
Following publication, readers raised concerns about language in the article that makes references to a 'Creator', and about the overall rationale and findings of the study.

Upon receiving these concerns, the PLOS ONE editors have carried out an evaluation of the manuscript and the pre-publication process, and they sought further advice on the work from experts in the editorial board. This evaluation confirmed concerns with the scientific rationale, presentation and language, which were not adequately addressed during peer review.

Consequently, the PLOS ONE editors consider that the work cannot be relied upon and retract this publication. 

The editors apologize to readers for the inappropriate language 
in the article and the errors during the evaluation process.
____________________________________________________

The paper’s authors—three Chinese researchers and one American—called the regrettable interpretation a matter of translation errors. Readers called it unacceptable and sloppy. Poor editing, they said. The writers didn’t notice they’d called for this conclusion, and the editors didn’t notice either. That is sloppy.

The title makes the article seem quite mundane. It’s just a hand. Not too complicated as far as body parts go. And yet, the four who wrote the article found reason to refer to a divine design, even though they now say it was an unfortunate misunderstanding of the words they actually did write. It’s a wonder some other body part didn’t lead to the unappreciated conclusion. The eye. The heart. The brain. The reproductive system. Why the hand?

Did the writers know that according to Scripture, a mighty hand began the world?

For My hand made all these things, thus all these things came into being," declares the LORD "But to this one I will look, to him who is humble and contrite of spirit, and who trembles at My word.  Isaiah 66:2

The heavens are telling of the glory of God; and their expanse is declaring the work of His hands. Psalm 89:13

The sea is His, for it was He who made it, and His hands formed the dry land. Psalm 95:5

Surely My hand founded the earth, And My right hand spread out the heavens; When I call to them, they stand together. Isaiah 48:13

But now, O LORD, You are our Father, We are the clay, and You our potter; And all of us are the work of Your hand. Isaiah 64:8

That same hand sustains, satisfies, overrules, loves, judge, and saves.

Who has measured the waters in the hollow of His hand, and marked off the heavens by the span, and calculated the dust of the earth by the measure, and weighed the mountains in a balance and the hills in a pair of scales? Isaiah 40:12

You open Your hand And satisfy the desire of every living thing. Psalm 145:16

He covers His hands with the lightning, and commands it to strike the mark. Job 36:32

Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. Isaiah 41:10

If I sharpen My flashing sword, and My hand takes hold on justice, I will render vengeance on My adversaries, and I will repay those who hate Me. Deuteronomy 32:41

I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father’s hand. I and the Father are one. John 10:28-30

The hand of God is a good place for some.

You have also given me the shield of Your salvation, and Your right hand upholds me; And Your gentleness makes me great. Psalm 18:35

And a fearful place for others.

It is a dreadful thing to fall into the hands of the living God. Hebrews 10:31

These verses are only a sampling of Scripture filled with great truth about the creative, sustaining, fearsome, saving hand of God. The truth is known by those who are safe in the grasp of God’s loving hand. It must be revealed to all who deny it. It cannot be retracted, no matter how many people clench their marvelously created hands in defiance. No apology offered on this one.



No comments:

Post a Comment