Tuesday, October 16, 2018

TRUSTING YOUR GUIDE



Image result for the bible as a guide to life


Have you ever had to depend on a Global Positioning System (GPS) to get you to a place you were unfamiliar with? I have, a few times, but today’s experience was a bit different.


Today, I participated in a Walk and Run for Life event: not that I really walked, but that is beside the point. After the event, I needed to make a stop somewhere before going home. I didn’t know how to get there, so I programmed my GPS to aid me. I had to follow the instructions to the letter, since I had never made that trip before. I was directed through areas I never knew existed. It took faith and courage to not do anything different, with the hope that I’d get to my destination. And wouldn’t you know it, just by following the instructions to the letter, I arrived at my intended destination without any problem! Woot, woot! Having said that, I should also mention that I’d gotten lost before following GPS directions. In other words, the GPS is not always 100% dependable!

As I was driving, I thought, “My experience today is very similar to following God through obedience to His Word--the Bible.” See, the Bible is God’s instruction for living a godly life in this life, and arriving in heaven someday! We Christians have heaven in mind as our final destination after travelling through this life, but so do many non-Christians. The non-Christians, however, have not trusted Jesus for salvation; they’re trusting in themselves, their good deeds, or some other religion. It is our responsibility to guide as many of them as we can to put their faith in Jesus, and then join us on this journey that leads us to our final home.

The Bible is the inerrant Word of God; we can never go wrong by obeying it. As I said before, the GPS can occasionally lead one astray, but never the Bible.  

Today, I encourage you to make the Bible the only guide you depend on in this life. It does not change and never needs to be revised or updated. It is complete, and all who have lived by it can testify to its authenticity. The Bible challenges us to put it to the test: “Anyone who wants to do the will of God will know whether my teaching is from God or is merely my own” (John 7:17 NLT). The Bible is the only guide we’ll ever need! It tells us, “All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives.  It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right. God uses it to prepare and equip his people to do every good work” (2 Timothy 3:16-17 NLT). Read it daily and obey it!  

No comments:

Post a Comment