Friday, November 25, 2022

GOD OUR SHIELD







A shield provides protection to another. According to Wikipedia, a human shield is a legal, military, and political term denoting a non-combatant (or a group of non-combatants) who is forced or volunteers to shield a legitimate military target to deter the enemy from attacking it. In other words, if anyone is going to get hurt in the encounter, it won't be the target but the shield. For example, because of their God-given protective instincts, parents often place themselves in harm's way to protect their children; they respond so spontaneously that the potential danger ahead doesn't face them. They'd rather be the ones hurt than their children.  

Similarly, in the spiritual realm, we are the devil's target; God puts Himself between the devil and us to keep us safe. Jesus allowed Himself to suffer and die on the cross to rescue us from the devil's intentions and to shield us from his unrelenting attacks. Isn't this amazing?

God is a better parent than all parents put together; He is our perfect shield.

I see two ways in which God is our shield: First, He protects us and keeps us from danger, sometimes by removing the threat and other times by delivering us from the harm that could have come to us. I experienced this twelve years ago; I was in a bad car accident, but God's protection kept me alive, and I did not sustain any injuries. He could have prevented the accident, but even though He didn't, He ensured I was not hurt. Second, putting our trust in the Word of God, claiming it, and relying on it protects us from fear and worry, making difficult situations bearable; we can stand firm in the face of adversity.

God has promised to protect His servants, time and time again. For instance, He promised Abraham, "Do not be afraid, Abram, for I will protect you, and your reward will be great" (Genesis 15:1). In addition, He promises protection for those who look to Him for safety: "God's way is perfect. All the Lord's promises are true. He is a shield for all who look to him for protection" (2 Samuel 22:31). After all, He's promised to give to those who ask. Are you in any kind of danger? Don't face it alone; call on Him, and He will deliver you as He has promised.

The psalmist has experienced God's favor over and over again and is never reluctant to share it: "God is my shield, saving those whose hearts are true and right" (Psalm 7:10). Again, he testifies, "The Lord is my rock, my fortress, and my savior; my God is my rock, in whom I find protection. He is my Shield, the power that saves me" (Psalm 18:2). Do you have a testimony of God's protection? Allow that to comfort and encourage you when trouble comes your way. I can say with the psalmist: "He will cover you with his feathers. He will shelter you with his wings" (Psalm 91:4).

In addition to God being our shield, the Scriptures remind us of the spiritual battle we face 24/7 and admonish us to be always prepared. How do we prepare, though? The armor consists of six items (the belt of truth, the breastplate of righteousness, the shoes of peace, the shield of faith, the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit); they work together to ensure our safety. We can't pick and choose which ones to wear or skip on any given day (see Ephesians 6:10-17). We must keep God's armor on to remain firm and undefeated at the battle's conclusion.

The shield listed in the armor of God is our faith; it is just as important as the other five. Its purpose is to stop the enemy's fiery arrows from reaching and hurting us. Our confidence in the Word of God prevents us from worrying over the devil's lies: "I know the one in whom I trust, and I am sure that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him until the day of his return" (2 Timothy 1:12). When we put up the shield of faith, the enemy's arrow will bounce back and be extinguished.

Although our faith is in God, and we can claim that He is watching over us and therefore is our shield, knowing exact verses to claim in different situations makes it even better by boosting our confidence. How diligently are you studying the Word of God? 

No comments:

Post a Comment