Monday, September 1, 2014

Diligence pays off

(NIV)Colossians 3:23
Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, (NIV)

If life gives you unshelled peanuts─ just shell them.

Shelling is not hard.

It may break some fingernails.

It could slow you down when you are hungry.

But sweet is the reward when you finally find the treasure inside.

But here’s the ironic lesson of life. The treasure may not be the actually prize inside. Surprisingly, the effort it took to obtain the treat inside really is the prize.
I remember my children having a paper route. Half the time they wanted to quit. “It’s too snowy,” or “I think I have the flu,” they’d say. But what pride when they finished the route and received their first check.
I could have shelled their peanuts. Some days that would have been easier. I did share the load some days. But I knew the victory of shelling their own peanuts retained a victory they wouldn’t have had if I’d done their work.

God gives us work on earth and someday we will savor the words from our Heavenly Father, “Well done thou good and faithful servant.” … or we will if we don’t have others always shell our own peanuts. 


No comments:

Post a Comment