Monday, December 1, 2014

You Who are Weary and Heavy-Laden

Photo from DestinyDispatch.net.


Matthew 11:28 "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest."

Several years ago I was on the final day of a backpack trip with my husband in the High Sierra Camp Loop Yosemite. Going with two other couples, we hiked each day enjoying the beauty of each location as we encountered bears, chipmunks and marmots, clear starry nights and rugged hiking days surrounding ourselves with breathtaking beauty. On our final day we hit our peak elevation when we hiked up to a place called Vogelzang. At 10,100 feet above sea level, the camp existed above the timber line. This meant fewer trees and animal─making for an otherworldly atmosphere. I remember the serenity of the area. Very few animals, including bears want to be up that high.
As our party of six trudged up one more mountain peak, I felt like I couldn’t catch my breath in the thinner air. In addition, my 35 plus pound backpack seemed to gain more weight with each step I took. 

Keeping right behind my husband on the trail, I tried not to complain. He had his own pack and anyway I didn’t want him to think I was baby. But finally he turned around and saw me struggling to keep up. Without further ado, he swooped down and grabbed my pack and carried it along with his. 

It hurt my pride to hike 90 percent of the way and then collapse by the side of the trail. But if my husband hadn’t rescued me I might still be sitting on a rock, looking up at the climb.

How often do we have a heavy backpack on us that we insist we have to carry? I’d say quite a lot. But if we listen to the words of Jesus, he gives us permission to seek Him out and get a break. Just like my husband hauled two packs up the final hill of our adventure, Jesus had broad shoulders and is built to endure trials for us. We don’t have to suffer alone.

 Let’s hand over ours pack to Him, because He sees the future and knows good things are ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment