Monday, July 14, 2014

A Hidden Classic - Found


Ephesian 2:12 “We are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus…”

Flat, I thought as I bent my ear to the mandolin strings. Can't tune it here, I'll just listen. As a newcomer to the group I decided to sit on the sidelines and enjoy the Saturday morning Bluegrass jam session. These regular jam sessions are part of the great musical culture all over North Carolina and listening to them will make anyone a Bluegrass lover forever. In my town, Richard’s Coffee Shop opens their doors to anyone with a stringed instrument.  I knew my grandfather’s mandolin cradled in my arms, longed to join in. But as a beginning player I didn't want to add any sour notes to the lively group.

Too late. A jovial musician spied me in the back of the store and waved me into the group. With a bit of a stomach flip-flop, I stood up and walked to the middle of the circle where I scooted into the only open chair. Maybe I could just pretend to pick my instrument.

My plan of being low-key and inconspicuous evaporated.
 “Where did you get that instrument?” a grisly guitar player with a flowing beard bellowed. I didn't know what to say. Is he accusing me of something?  Does he think I borrowed someone else’s?

I smiled and answered with a sheepish grin. “Well, I pulled this out of the bottom of my mother’s hall closet. No one had played it for years so I thought I’d take it for a spin.”

Suddenly, every musician’s eyes fixed on my instrument. After a few minutes of uncomfortable silence another member spoke up. “What you've got there is a classic. You’d better get that appraised and insured.”   Hesitantly, a reedy banjo player leaned over and asked if he could hold it for just a minute. “I won’t even play it,” he assured me. “It’s a treasure.”

In 2 Corinthians 4:17, it says “We have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all surpassing power is from God and not us.”  Hidden inside of us God has placed His gem, the indwelling of His spirit in our earthly bodies.  The container may have dents, cracks, and chips. Part of the glaze may have worn off of the exterior but God still sees us as treasures.

 Isn't it just like God to rummage through a dusty coat closet and haul us out to be used for His purposes? He doesn't want to waste anyone’s life stuffed in some gloomy dark storage area. And not only does he use us for His plans, He also takes great joy in passing us around to be admired as his treasures.  To God, we are his “classics”.


No comments:

Post a Comment