Monday, July 28, 2014

Suppose one of you wants to build a tower. Will he not first sit down and estimate the cost to see if he has enough money to complete it? Luke 14:28 NIV

Living in South Lake Tahoe, California seemed like a dream location for a new job. My husband and I had the Sierra Nevada Mountains in our backyard and one of the most beautiful lakes in the world only a few miles down the road. When my husband accepted a position managing a camp, I knew we’d hit pay dirt. I pictured us taking leisurely days off to hike the trails, boat the turquoise lake, and explore abandoned gold mine towns. In winter we’d ski down the powdery slopes. Reality quickly slammed us. My husband worked almost seven days a week, on call like a country doctor. He faced strong-willed staff members, a flu epidemic that almost shut the camp down, an overturned boat (with the threat of the boater going into hypothermia), and a health department inspection… all within the first four months. My rose-colored view of his job turned gray from stress and led to exhaustion for both of us. Suddenly those snow-capped mountains didn’t matter much. I missed seeing my husband as I craved an opportunity for him to have a day off

Sometimes our dreams collide with practical life. We were newlyweds when we took the camp job. Our Tahoe experience taught us that we, as a couple, need to really think things through before we pull up stakes and jump into a new career. Though we both tend to come out high on the “craving adventure and change scale,” we've learned through hard experiences to take time to research and understand the impact a move will make on our family. Planning and analyzing is essential. Seriously scrutinizing a possible move may save you dollars and heartache down the road. Are you considering a move state to state or even just a change of houses in your town? God’s word reminds us to count the cost. How will this possible relocation affect the emotional, financial, educational, and social needs of your family? God wants the best for us and we can’t always see the best without His guidance.

2 comments:

  1. Wow Carol! This is very timely for some friends if ours that we have been praying with about a major move. I am forwarding this on to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad it might help them. Moving is hard so you don't want to make an unnecessary move. Trust me, Dena, I know! I know God will show them which way to go.

    Thanks for stopping by.






    ReplyDelete